You are Visitor No.

August 28, 2008

EPISODE 5: MY 1ST DENTAL VISIT

My filling fell off 2 days back when I flossed. Along with it came part of my tooth. Shoot! Oh no! Then, thoughts of cash registers ringing up in dentist's office and pain on that DREADED CHAIR dashed thru my mind. OZ dental care is not cheap. Nobody really wants to be a dentist here, it is true. They'd rather be a teacher, a lifeguard, or even a pet-sitter, but looking into somebody's mouth is not top of the list on OZ preferred careers. The pain wasn't too bad but the gap was just too wide for comfort and exposure of dentin was making it painful to suck in air. So...., I found myself, at the recommendation of my dear neighbour at the dentist's today. Dr Jim was his name, and I find out he is from Beijing. Thin looking guy, thick china accent and expressionless. oh well, dentists are never personal... but I was amused he wore a yellow hello kitty dental gown - so cute lah! Must be something to keep kids occupied... Gave me a local anaesthetic to reduce the pain and started work. They gave me sunglasses to protect the eyes from the light's glare, good idea, how come they never do that in Malaysia and leave u half-blind after that?? Aargh! it was painful!And he was determined to fill that hole too,- very thorough job! Charged me A$180 for just that filling. OK, I tell myself please don't convert otherwise the bill will be more painful than the treatment. ENUFF said, I am brushing and flossing faithfully over here from now on.....

6 comments:

chosenjade said...

Hi Chris
Now you understand when I go to KL. It is all about doctors, checkups and treatments.
well I guess the cute dental gown must be a part of the cost too :-)
take care

d'Lion said...

Chris, how did u manage to put your camera in your mouth to take that picture? :-P

CHRIS ONG said...

easy.. just swallow, then regurgitate a microcamera, make sure no acid gets in the lens, then use voice-command ,'AAH'.. AND IT CLICKS, viola, dentist face out of your mouth! seriously... downloaded from net, of course...!!

d'Lion said...

Hehe don't play play with Chris.

sharonsb said...

ahh..$140 for a filling in Aussie, it's $300 for a filling here in the USA. no wonder my teeth are disintergrating!!

had several dental work done a year ago- total $4,000. can buy a car in Msia already.

joshua said...

eat more chicken floss!!!