You are Visitor No.

September 24, 2009

YELLOW YELLOW DIRTY FELLOW

Yesterday had the strangest experience since our move here to Gold Coast. A major dust-storm coming from New South Wales hit Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney as well many other places. I woke up in the morning to see the sky was an unusual yellow colour.. hmm what was this, I thot? Haze? From Indonesia/.... that potent?? Cannot be...How strange... I tried to smell the air for smoke, but could not detect much burning smell, just felt thick, dense and yucky kinda feeling. I did see people lopping off trees along the road, and I thot maybe a major storm was on its way but why the colour? While we were on our way to visit Mum Beryl who was ill at the Gold Coast Hospital, the wind suddenly whipped up and we found ourselves fighting our way into the hospital!! It felt like a sandstorm, but not so strong... the sun was blue or whitish blue in colour, visibility was really poor, our eyes smarted, and noses were acting up..
When we went back later that day, I found to my horror, dust was everywhere in the house as well!! I did a major cleaning session dust-busting the whole house! Vaccuum, mop, wash, change bed linens just to get the dust off... Next time, I've learnt my lesson well- if yellow-looking sky ever appears, do not leave the house with windows open,,, even for 1 cm apart!! AARGH! Jordan and daddy had to lift their feet up while I frantically mopped the floor, nobody move, nobody step anywhere till I am done...while I declared war on dust in the house... Today, was so glad to see the skies blue again. Thank God for fresh and clean air again...

2 comments:

joshua said...

Ah...I thought only the Sydneysiders were affected. Didn't know the Gold Coasters too. I read Sydney was like a scene from Armageddon.

Yeah!

Now you can sing, 'I can see clearly now, the dust is gone!'

8-)

d'Lion said...

What a dusty event.