You are Visitor No.

November 8, 2008

GET THE LINGO, MATE

Takes some getting used to, but slangs over here are among some of the things that help ease you into the culture & everyday life in ozland.... some of them may already be familiar to most, but some are uniquely aussie.
How ya goin'? : Instead of asking "How ya doin'?" or "How are things going?"
Hay? : Like a Canadian's Ay?
No Drama: Not a problem at all
No Worries: Not a problem at all
Piss off : Go away
It's stuffed : it's broken
That's a dodgy little thing: It doesn't really work well
You're cheeky, aren't you? : Cute, sometimes good cute, sometimes acting too cute depends on how it is said.
Whack some on there : Put some on
Heaps: a lot
Straight away : right away
Good on you: Good job
I reckon : I would think so
Aw-righ or Right-o : All Right
I'll ring you: I'll call you
Tucker : food
Dunny, Toilet, Lou : all words for the place where you do your duty, if you ask for the bathroom you may be directed to a room with just a sink and bath.
Lost the plot : no sense of direction, clueless
Macky's :McDonald's
Brekky : Breakfast

2 comments:

joshua said...

HEY! HOW YA GOIN'?

Thanks heaps, mate. Very informative.

I think I will post this straight away

Before that, I need to go to the Dunny...

8D

richrach said...

yo chris!
i've already created some of my own slang like...

lappy: laptop

thumby: thumb drive

preggy: pregnant

...and all other -y's... heh heh... :D