You are Visitor No.

February 17, 2009

PRAISES FOR WOOLWORTHS

I have been pretty forgetful lately, it's a sign of ageing, sigh... I realised I forgot one whole bag of groceries from Woolworths where I regularly shop. And I was pretty mad at myself. I was thinking I probably could just kiss that whole bag goodbye including my favourite double espresso coffee and a Dynamo refill...well over 4 hours later then only I discover the loss...but decided to just phone in anyway to try my luck, see if they saw my bag. I wasn't feeling optimistic about getting anything back. Well, well, what do you know? The customer service manager in charge said they had itemised everything that was left behind and confirmed everything I read out in the receipt! . She said I could come by to pick up the items anytime from the store again (they put them back on shelves) or just get full refund for lost items.
Wonderful! I know most places would do that in this country, especially if it was left at the counter, but in Malaysia, that hardly ever happens. One bag forgotten means one bag lost forever. Honesty is one of the best things I appreciate about this country. That's why toilet rolls are in every cubicle, not central like those in Malaysian public restrooms, and bicycles aren't locked in schools here. I saw kids here entrusting their money with a kind adult who was a stranger to them- because the queue to pay their book money was just too long, so that they could go back to class. But...I don't know if anyone would return a $50 bill if they saw it drop out of your pocket, though. ..my guess is perhaps 50/50.
Sure, there may be some bad eggs around, but on the whole, their upbringing is to respect one another's belongings and courtesy & trust means a great deal to me. so..Woolworths, thanks! you have my praise and oh, I will shop there this Friday, since you are contributing your profits on Friday to bushfire victims.

No comments: